Grow Papaya – A complete guide
Grow Papaya Plant
From seeds – plants – fruits
- Papaya tree is a perennial plant that keeps green throughout the year.
- They yield fruit in the early summer and up to the fall seasons.
- Native to central America and later on they have been spread throughout the world.
- Seeds look brownish black and they take around 20 days to sprout.
- A month old baby plants look like these.
per kg –
- USA = $3 – $4
- India = ₹40
- Nepal = Rs 120
Grow papayas indoor as well as outdoor.
- Indoor the plants should be kept near windows where the plant can get enough
- sunlight and the container can remain warm.
- Proper water and nutrition should be feed to the plant as well as they should be protected from the winters for your papaya to grow successful and yield fruit.
- Carica papaya variety can be grown indoor with a hight upto 5-6meters tall
- The papaya needs long warm growing seasons with rich moist well-draining soil.
- pH of soil should be ranging from of 5 to 7
- Best grows in long warm seasons, frost free locations.
- Winters will slower their growth and leaves can be damaged.
- Frost environment, drought and excess windy areas this plant can hardly survive.
- Air temperature – 20 to 32 degrees Celsius throughout the year
- Soil temperature – always above 60 F for best growth. The soil should be moist and have well drained soil where excess water accumulation cause root rot.
Duration of Papaya
- Life best life span of papaya can be up to 4-5 years in general.
- After that papaya plant start dying out and the yield also starts reducing.
- Its better to get new plants after 5 years of tenure checking the condition of the plant.
Requirement to grow successfully
- To grow successfully – a lot of sunlight i.e. up to 8 hours of day sunlight, lots of water.
- If you maintain good temperature, give good fertilizer and take proper care they can give fruits within 9-12 months of planting the seeds.
- It doesn’t require a lot of maintenance, just give it proper fertilizer for faster growth and better fruit yield
- Phosphorus help is root development ad better growth
- Natural fertilizer – compost should be used and layers of leaves or straws should be made at the base to keep the soil temperature in good condition for the plant
- An adult plant can grow up to 30ft and the leaves are almost 2.5ft wide.
- Eating 3 hours before meal makes your digestive system stronger
- Lowers cholesterol. Papaya is rich in fibre, Vitamin C and antioxidants which prevent cholesterol build up in your arteries that is best for the heart health
- Helps in loosing weight
- Remarkably improves immunity
- Diabetic patients can eat them without worry
- Boosts your eyes vision
- Improves digestion
- Removes the complications during menstrual pain and it is also much helpful during pregnancy but half cooked
- It also has a wide range of use in cosmetic produces, the antioxidants found in papaya are best for all kind of skin
If Excess of branching occurs or if some braches died out only they need minimum of pruning is required otherwise it doesn’t require any pruning
Varieties of papaya –
- the Hawaii papaya varieties
- the Mexican variety
- Male papayas don’t bear fruit so the male plant is cut out and thrown.
- Unripen papayas can also be eaten but it’s not best for pregnant women’s.
- Air layering can be done in papaya to get new tall plants for a quick start.