Caring Tips and Surprising Benefits of Citrus Fruits for Skin, Weight loss, and Health.
Citrus fruits contain more than 15 nutritional components like Vitamin C, Fibre, Carbohydrate, Calcium, Vitamin B6, Potassium, etc. It is scientifically proven that the consumption of citrus fruits reduces the chance of various heart diseases, cancer, birth defects, anaemia, and cataracts.
Citrus fruits are key to a healthy life, beautiful skin, and a slim body. In the past 20 years, the demand for citrus fruits have significantly increased. So, in this article lets learn how we can grow such beneficiary plants and find out some more reason to have this sweet, juicy, and brightly colored fruit in our daily diet.
What are Citrus Fruits?
Citrus fruits are kind of flowering trees and shrubs that belong to the rue family, Rutaceae. These fruits are probably originated from New Caledonia, Australia, New Guinea, and Southeast Asia and have been cultivated since ancient times. It has variable kinds and flavors which include oranges, limes, grapefruits, and lemons. Not only they are flavorful and pretty, but they are also good for our health.
Planting Tips for Citrus Plants
- For the faster growth of the plant remove the outer layer of the seed.
- Cover the seed with wet tissue paper and keep it in a zip lock bag for a couple of weeks.
- Once you see some growth in the seed, now you can transfer the seed in the pot.
- Keep the pot again inside a zip bag for a few weeks until you can see 4-5 inches of growth.
- Make sure that you have chosen well-drained soil.
- Plant the tree in sunny and wind-protected areas.
- Citrus trees can be planted throughout the year. However, the spring season is considered to be the best season for the growth of citrus plants.
- Avoid planting citrus trees during the winter season as they might die soon.
- For the couple of starting years feed the citrus plant with a balanced fertilizer 0f 6-6-6.
List Of Beneficiary Citrus Fruits
Some of the popular varieties of citrus fruits are mentioned below :
- Sour Oranges: bouquet de fleurs, Seville
- Sweet oranges: Cara cara , blood orange, navel, Valencia, kumquat
- Mandarins: Tangelo, Clementine, Tangerine, satsuma
- Limes: Kaffir, key lime, Persian
- Grapefruit: Ruby red, oroblanco, white
- Other kinds: Eureka, Yuzu, citron, sudacgi, pomelo, rangpur
Requirement to Grow Citrus Fruits
The citrus tree requires a depth of 1 m and topsoil must be well-drained with a minimum of 60 cm.
The physical characteristic of the soil must be well-drainage, water-holding capacity, density, texture, consistency, soil depth since the growth and development of the citrus plant depends upon the characteristic of soil types.
Soil Ph must be between 6. 0 and 6.5 but not above 8.
For the citrus tree, climate and wind are the two most important constraints for its growth. It can tolerate high temperature if the trees are provided with well supplied of soil moisture.
A mature tree can bear temperature down to -5oC for a little time by not having any damages whereas a young tree having recent growth flush can be affected with light frost.
Citrus trees are not suitable for areas where there may be heavy regular frosts.
Properly designed windbreaks are important. There might be a risk of wind damaging the fruit rind so wide-open windy sites must be avoided.
Slopes should be up to 15% so it can minimize soil erosion.
Avoid steeper slopes as it causes major soil erosion risk and there will be a problem to operate machinery safely.
Citrus trees are extremely sensitive toward salt so there should not be waters having chloride level above 450 parts per million or an electrical conductivity beyond 1800 micro siemens per centimeter (µ/cm)
In areas with rainfall below 700 mm per year requires 8 to 9 megalitres of irrigation for 1 hectare of mature.
Benefits of Citrus Fruits
Besides being delicious, citrus fruit is full of nutrients which leads to a healthy life Since citrus fruits are very rich in nutrients, it can be a benefit for our skin, weight loss, and health.
Benefits for skin
The amazing benefit of citrus fruits for our skincare :
- Citrus fruit has a high amount of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) so it keeps your skin look young and maintains the elasticity of your skin.
- It also contains citric acid which kills all the bacteria and pathogens from your skin, makes your skin feel clean and fresh.
- The peel of this citrus fruit plays a vital role in an exfoliating and cleansing agent. So, it helps to clear your pores, dead skin cells, and make your skin look clear and glowing.
- As citrus fruit has vitamin C, it also prevents pigmentation which usually occurs due to the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Benefit for weight loss
The benefit of citrus fruits for weight loss are :
- Citrus fruits have very low calories so those who are conscious about their weight loss can have them and fill your stomach without gaining calories.
- Citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges, work intensely in helping you to lose weight. They are also hydrating and have fiber content which avoid you from feeling hungry.
Benefit for health
Some of the health benefits of citrus fruit are :
- According to a study, citrus fruits contain components like carotenoids, flavonoids, folate, and vitamin C which helps to reduce the risk of cancer. So, it helps to fight or protect against cancer.
- It also maintains the health of your eyes and reduces the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- The vitamin C found in citrus fruits can also boost your immune system.
- Citrus fruits are a great source of soluble fiber which can lower your blood pressure, develop blood glucose control, decrease inflammation, and develop the immune function.
- By drinking a glass of fresh citrus fruit daily can decrease the risk of kidney stone formation and improve urinary citrate levels.
- Citrus fruits also include nutrients such as polyphenols and carotenoids which can boost the health of your health and prevent diseases like cardiovascular.
- Orange: Weight(131g), Energy(62kcal), Fibre(3.1g), Ascorbic acid(70mg), Folate(40mcg), Potassium(237mg)
- Grapefruit: Weight(236g), Energy(78kcal), Fibre(2.5g), Ascorbic acid(79mg), Folate(24mcg), Potassium(350mg)
- Tangerine: Weight(84g), Energy(37kcal), Fibre(1.7g), Ascorbic acid(26mg), Folate(17mcg), Potassium(132mg)