Top 10 Foods to fight against inflammation
“When you don’t eat healthily, don’t get enough exercise, or have too much stress, the body responds by triggering inflammation,” says MD Varinthrej Pitis.
Remedies of inflammation do not come from the pharmacy but from the grocery store.
Inflammation is a condition in which chemicals from White Blood Cells of our body (leukocytes) enter our blood vascular system or tissues for the protection of our body from foreign invaders also known as an antibody. At times this chemical released leaks into our tissues causing swelling or redness or pain.
Signs of inflammation:
Based on visual observation, the ancients characterized inflammation by five signs:
Redness (rubor) – In the case of rubor inflammation, localized reddish patches appear on the skin surface. In such a condition, warming the area with warm water, applying honey afterward, and leaving skin exposed for about 30 minutes works.
Swelling (tumor) -But sometimes inflammation begins for other reasons and it doesn’t stop. This type of inflammation is called chronic inflammation. Over time it can cause damage to cell DNA and affect the way cells grow and divide. That could lead to the growth of tumors and cancer. Tumor-extrinsic inflammation is caused by many factors, including bacterial and viral infections, autoimmune diseases, obesity, tobacco smoking, asbestos exposure, and excessive alcohol consumption, which increase cancer risk and stimulate malignant progression.
Heat (calor) – This condition is only applicable to the body’ extremities of an organism such as a limb or an appendage, particularly the hands and feet. Heat due to inflammation is mainly caused due to increased blood flow at the body core temperature to the inflamed site.
Pain(dolor) – Inflammation causes pain as the result of swelling and buildup of tissue pressing against nerve endings. This pressure sends pain signals to the brain causing discomfort.
Loss of function (function laesa) – Loss of function is actually a consequence of pain and swelling. The pain hinders mobility while severe swelling prevents movement in the area.
Source: Akman et al., 2016
Reasons for inflammation:
– Refined carbohydrates like pastries.
– French fries and other oily fried foods.
– Sweetened cold drinks and beverages
– Red meat and processed meat
– Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup – added sugars
– Artificial fats
– Excessive liquors
Sometimes inflammation is very persistent even if our body has not encountered a foreign invader. At times, inflammation is the consequence of the occurrence of cancer-causing cells, heart diseases, diabetes, arthritis, depression, and Alzheimer’s in the body. Mediterranean diet is one of the best diet plans to follow if one wishes to include a huge quantity of Anti-inflammatory agents in the diet as they includes high quantity of fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fish, and healthy oils.
TOP 10 RECOMMENDED ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOODS
Here is the list of the top 10 anti-inflammatory diets for a healthy body:
– Tomato or poor man’s orange universally is treated as a protective food.
– This warm-season crop is a rich source of minerals, vitamins, and organic acids.
– The red color of a tomato is because of the presence of lycopene pigment.
– The yellow and orange color is due to carotene and prolycopene pigments respectively.
– Tomatoes are extensively used in salads all over the world.
2. Olive oil
– Extra virgin olive oils serve more anti-inflammatory health benefits than refined olive oils.
– This is considered to be one of the healthiest oils one can consume.
– Its monounsaturated fat content helps to reduce risks of heart disease, brain cancer, and other serious health issues as well.
– Leafy vegetables are good sources of vitamins and minerals.
– Dieticians recommend daily consumption of 125gm leafy vegetables for a balanced diet.
– Almost all leafy vegetables are seed propagated and sown in fields.
– These vegetables are easy and cheap to grow, and can be cooked quickly.
4. Walnuts and Almonds
– Nuts are reduced markers of inflammation that lead to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
– These nuts are also the rich source of healthy fats, omega-3 and fiber.
– Raw nuts are beneficial but be careful with nuts consisting of added oil such as peanuts.
5. Fatty fish like Salmon, Mackerel, Tuna and Sardines
– The long chain of an omega-3 compound containing EPA and DHA along with high protein content make fatty fish one of the best anti-inflammatory food products.
– The EPAs and DHAs help in the reduction of metabolic syndrome and kidney diseases as well.
6. Strawberries and Raspberries
– Berries are small fruits rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
– In a study, adults suffering from weight problems who ate strawberries daily had a low risk of heart problems than those who were suffering and did not consume strawberries.
– These berries are rich in natural antioxidants and polyphenols; both being protective compounds found in plants.
– Antioxidants found in berries are called anthocyanins which reduce the risk of heart diseases, boost immunity along with reducing inflammation.
– The human body produces natural killer cells (NK cells) for boosting our immunity. The production of these cells is found higher in those who consumed blueberries as compared to those who did not.
– Cherries are rich in antioxidants such as catechins especially sweet cherries and tart cherries. In a study, it was shown that after 1 month of stopping eating cherries,
the Anti-inflammatory marker in the body considerably decreased.
– Both the head and fleshy stem of broccoli are consumed as a salad or cooked vegetable.
– Among Cole-crops it has high nutritive value.
– Generally, broccoli is rich in sources of iron, thiamine, vitamin ‘A’, and Vitamin ‘C’.
– It is also rich source of sulforaphane, an antioxidant with powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
– The rhizome of turmeric contains curcumin pigment which is widely used for coloring in the food industry.
– The value-added products of turmeric are oil, oleoresin, curcuminoids, and dehydrated turmeric powder.
A healthy diet is beneficial not only for reducing the risk of chronic diseases but also for improving mood and overall quality of life. So, be healthy and eat healthy. If you want to know more on healthy diet follow the link below for more information on different health aspects and healthy diet.
Happy reading! Will be back soon with more informative blog post (articles) soon. Till then Keep supporting “Learn-Agro” team like you are doing and enjoy learning….
1. (Akman, C., Duran, A., Kalafat, U. M., & Ocak, T. (2016). Uveitis attack and drug reaction due to cefuroxime axetil. Cutaneous and ocular toxicology, 35(3), 254-256.)