Top 12 Low Light Plant Species
If you have an area (space) that can’t get enough sunlight but, you want to grow beneficial plants in that place; Don’t worry! there are many plants that do well under low light which are also perfect for the house use too.
Having a low light as well as maintenance requirements these plants are very suitable for beginners. But, do you have any idea which species are better to grow and possess greater benefits?
Let’s learn about the top 10 low-light preferring plants that are highly recommended by Learnagro.
Low light preferring plant species doesn’t mean that the plant does not require sunlight at all. As a gardener taking good care of plants is not an easy job. It is very challenging to understand how to provide a different level of care, particularly when it comes to the amount of sunlight they require. But not every plant requires the same amount of care and sunlight. Low light species prefer light intensity between 50 and 250 foot candles. These types of plants usually require fluorescent light between 10 and 15 watt per square foot of growing spaces.
TOP 12 RECOMMENDED LOW-LIGHT PREFERRING SPECIES
The following are the top 10 beautiful plant species that you can easily grow with a minimum amount of sunlight.
1. Lucky Bamboo
Lucky Bamboo belongs to the Dracaena genus. It is not a real bamboo plant. It is just like a type of tropical water lily. Lucky bamboo plants symbolize luck, wealth, and health. It is a great décor plant for your house and office. This plant is very beautiful, and with less maintenance also, it can grow very well.
Types of Lucky Bamboo plant
- 2 layer lucky bamboo plant
- 3 layer lucky bamboo plant
- 7 layer lucky bamboo plant
This plant requires slightly damp soil, indirect sunlight, and the temperature of about 65-95°F for its proper growth. So even if you leave this plant in your house and go outdoor for a couple of days, it will do fine.
- It is easy to maintain.
- It is a great decorative plant for your office and living room.
- Its unique structure attracts everyone.
- It can grow in water as well.
- According to traditional values, this plants removes all the negative energy.
2. ZZ Plant
Courtesy: Urban Jungle
ZZ is a slow-growing tall plant with round dark green leaves that fit in every corner of the house and increases the interior beauty. It can grow up to a height of 3 feet. It is very easy plant to grow and propagate. This plant can be easily propagated by cutting or crown division.
Types of ZZ Plant
- Raven ZZ
- ZZ ‘Zenzi’
- Dwarf ZZ
- ZZ plant ‘Lucky Classic’
In order to care for the ZZ plant, it requires bright indirect sunlight and can do very well even in shady places. This species prefer rich and well-drained soil, and it requires water when it completely dry out. Hence, it is very vital to care for the ZZ plant.
- It removes harmful pollutants like benzene, xylene, toluene, and ethylbenzene.
- It can do very well in both high and low light conditions.
- It requires less water to grow.
- It can consume CO2 even at night.
- Its extracts are used for manufacturing antioxidants.
3. Nerve Plant
The unique leaf pattern of the nerve plant looks very attractive in your garden as well as in different corners of your house. This evergreen plant can reach up to a height of 30cm. It looks great in a pot and hanging basket as well. You can get this beautiful plant in different colors like green leaves with a white vein, red vein, and in pink vein.
Types of Nerve Plant
- Red Anne
- Pink Star
- Purple Vein
Nerve plant is a native plant of tropical rainforest so it requires the same growing condition as in the tropical rainforest floor. It requires partial sunlight with the temperature rising from 60-80°F.
- It has got an attractive leaf pattern.
- It is an evergreen plant.
- It can be found in varieties of colors.
- It can be grown in a hanging basket as well.
- It is able to tolerate bright light.
- It helps to reduce the CO2 level.
4. Snake Plant
Snake plant is one of the easiest plants that any new gardener can grow and take care of. The snake plant can be recognized by its sword-shaped evergreen leaves. They act as a great indoor as well as outside décor plants.
Types of Snake plant
- Sansevieria trifasciata
- Sansevieria cylindrical
- Sansevieria masoniana
Snake plants can easily grow under partial sunlight or near the bright window. This plant does not require much care as well. It’s enough to water the plant twice a week. The ideal temperature requires for the best growth of the snake plant is above 50°F.
- It can provide oxygen even at night time.
- It can survive without water for a long time.
- It removes different cancer-causing agents.
- It is a low-maintenance plant.
- It can absorb CO2 at night.
- Purifies the harmful air pollutants.
5. Spider Plant
The spider plant is one of the most admirable house plants that can grow easily even with less maintenance. This plant is named as spider plant because of spider like appearance. It’s white and green striped leaves are grown long from the mother plant. placing a spider plant on your tabletop, bathroom, bedroom, or in a hanging basket add beauty to your home and offices.
Types of spider plant
- Hawaiian spider plant
Spider plants can grow in various types of conditions. The most suitable condition for its growth is indirect bright sunlight. However, it can do very well in a shady place as well. The ideal temperature requires the survival of the snake plant is between 70-90°F. It could be propagated from baby plants regenerated by mother plants.
- It provides fresh and clean air.
- It purifies air pollutants.
- It is hard to kill.
- It is a safe plant for your pets.
- It has got an appealing look with greater aesthetic beauty.
6. Golden Pothos
If you are a type of person who frequently forgets to water their plant then golden pothos could be good option for you. Even with less care and attention the beautiful heart shape pointed leaves of golden photos increase the beauty of your house or office. The trailing vines of pothos will even look more beautiful in the hanging basket.
Types of Pothos
- Marble Queen Pothos
- Neon Pothos
- Jessenia Pothos
- Manjula Pothos
Golden pothos prefers bright indirect sunlight and requires temperature of 65-75°F. This plant can survive in both high and low humidity. It requires water when the soil is completely dry.
- This plant helps to eliminate odours.
- It is easy to propagate.
- It can grow even without sunlight.
- It is a great natural air purifier.
- It purifies different pollutants like formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, and benzene.
7. Bird’s Nest Fern
Bird’s Nest Fern plants are one of the oldest plant species. You can find this plant throughout Europe and the United State as an indoor house plant. This is a tropical plant and its leaves can grow up to 2-3 feet.
Types of Birds Nest Fern
- Asplenium australasicum
- Asplenium nidus
- Asplenium serratum
Bird’s nest fern loves to grow in low light conditions. If it gets too much light then you can see the wrinkle on the leaves. It requires moist soil and a temperature of 70-80°F. If you want to grow this plant outdoor then make sure the humid is high.
- It is an ornamental fern.
- It can absorb harmful gases.
- It is a low maintenance plant.
- It improves the temperature and air of your house.
- Birds nest fern is used for making cosmetic goods like skin moisturizer, wound repairing, and anti-aging.
8. Chinese Evergreen
Chinese evergreen is a highly decorative, slow-growing, and mesmerizing foliage plant. It can easily tolerate low light conditions. It has a huge narrow with glossy oval shape leaves on its short stem. This species can be grown anywhere in your house since it doesn’t require full sunlight.
Types of Chinese evergreen
- Aglaonema modestum
- Aglaonema nitidum
- Siam Red-Aglaonema
- Aglaonema- Emerald Bay
- Aglaonema- Silver Queen
Chinese evergreen plants flourish in medium to low light conditions. So, while placing it in your home, make sure that the plant must get a warm temperature(70-75°F) and to a certain degree humid conditions but with indirect sunlight.
- It increases room humidity.
- They are used as medicinal plants.
- It is easy to propagate.
- Chinese Evergreen improves the quality of the air.
- It filters the indoor pollutants.
Courtesy: Urban Jungle
Monstera is the native plant of Central America. Monstera plant is famous for its unique heart-shaped leaves. They have got abnormal leaves i.e. holes are present all over the leaves. Its big and unique leaves make a statement piece in your living room area.
Types of Monstera
- Monstera Dubia
- Monstera Adonsonii
- Monstera Obliqua
- Mini Monstera
In order to keep this plant alive, it requires bright to medium indirect sunlight. The ideal temperature for the proper growth of the monstera is 65-85°F. Watering should be done at-least once every 1-2 weeks.
- This plant is great for decoration.
- This species with beautiful heart shape leaves purify the air.
- It is beneficial for snakebite, wounds, and arthritis.
- It brings peaceful vibes around the surrounding.
10. English ivy
Courtesy: Urban Jungle
If you want to increase the beauty of your house then English ivy would be a great option for your house. English ivy is a decorative ornamental evergreen woody vine. These plants usually cover the ground or the walls. English ivy can be planted in an outdoor also using hanging basket.
Types of English ivy
English ivy requires indirect sunlight for 6 to 8 hours. The ideal temperature required for the growth of the English ivy is 40-70°F. Like other low maintenance plants, English ivy also does not require much water to grow.
- English ivy has both environmental and health benefits.
- They look good in both pot and hanging basket.
- They are great ornamental plants that will increase the beauty of your house and garden.
- They require less maintenance.
- They act as an air purifier.
- They help to maintain a good circulation of air.
11. Peace Lily
The peace lily is one of the most popular indoor plants to plant inside a house or an office. They produce flowers on their central spikes up to 16 inches tall. They have got beautiful dark leaves and white flowers that are attractive to look at while also being good at purifying the surrounding air.
Types of Peace Lilies
- Small Peace Lily(15 inches tall)
- Medium-size Peace Lily(3 feet tall)
- Large Peace Lily(6 feet tall)
Peace lily doesn’t need neither much light nor water, frequent watering can be stressing for the plant. For surviving and proper growth the ideal temperature should be above 60°F and should be protected from cold and drafty windows.
- They require less care and maintenance.
- They can grow easily on low light and low humidity.
- It helps to absorb acetone vapor.
- It promotes peaceful sleep.
- It helps to prevent the formation of mildew.
- They are responsible for filtering xylene, toluene from your surrounding area.
12. Dracaena palm (Dragon Tree)
Dracaena palm also known as the dragon tree is an attractive indoor plant that consists of beautiful sword-like red edge leaves. This plant can grow up to a height of 20 feet in good condition. Dracaena is usually tough carefree plants but may require care for achieving the best results and avoiding different reasons for failure to grow.
Types of Dracaena Palm
- Dracaena Reflexa
- Dracaena Massangean
- Dracaena Arborea
- Dracaena marginata
Dracaena palm grows very well during spring. It requires bright indirect sunlight but can also grow in dim light. The ideal temperature requires for proper growth of the dragon tree at 70-80°F.
- They help to improve the quality of the air.
- They are easy to maintain.
- They can sustain a wide range of temperatures.
- They help to remove the toxic chemicals like benzene, formaldehyde, carbon dioxide, and trichloroethylene.
- They help to increase the humidity.
- They are very good for the office and living room decoration.