TOP 8 PLANTS PROVEN TO SOOTHE AND CURE YOUR SKIN DISEASE
People nowadays are suffering from all sorts of skin diseases which is very harsh to get rid off. So, in an attempt to get rid of these extremely irritating skin problems they are using countless chemical remedies which may cause adverse side effects in the long run. What if we could have remedies with minimal to nil side effects and yet extremely effective as well? Herb based remedies can be an excellent solution without any side effects.
Hence, let’s discuss about top 8 plants effective to cure various acute as well as chronic skin disease.
In this modern world full of pollution and chemicals, skin disease are now occurring more than ever before. Recent studies have repeatedly shown skin diseases as one of the major health issues affecting people from all age groups from neonates and infants to elderly people.
It has become extremely difficult to maintain good skin health in modern world due to multiple causes including nutrition, pollution, chemicals and much more. Even minor skin problems can make you irritated and extremely moody and affect your life & efficiency in ways you’ve never thought before. So, this article is for those who want ever-glowing healthy skin without any harmful effects in long run.
COMMON SKIN PROBLEMS
Skin disease is one of the most frequently occurring diseases in all age groups of people. There are thousands of conditions affecting the skin or even more. However the most common diseases includes:
- Rashes like Acne, dermatitis, eczema, hives, pityriasis, rosea and psoriasis.
- Bacterial infections. Eg, Folliculitis, cellulitis
- Viral infections . Eg, Herpes, Warts. chicken pox, etc.
- Fungal infections like Ringworm, Athlete’s foot and jock itch
- Parasitic infections
- Pigmentation disorders
- Tumors and cancer
- Trauma like burns, boils and cuts
TOP 8 PLANTS PROVEN EFFECTIVE AGAINST SKIN PROBLEMS
To get you started on your healthy and ever glowing skin journey, here are Top 8 plants recommended for curing your skin disorders:
1. Aloe-Vera((Aloe Barbadensis)
Aloe-Vera commonly known as Barbados aloe or Aloe is one of the best herbal remedy for a large number of skin diseases since ancient times. The active components of aloe includes Aloesin, Aloeemodin, Acemannan, Aloeride, Methylchromones, flavonoids, saponin, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals which are found in the gel of the aloe leaves. The polysaccharides forms a protective gel when applied in the skin.
Properties : Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Antimicrobial, Anticancer, Immune boosting and Hypoglycemic
How To Use
- Take whole or a part of an aloe leaf and slice it into two exposing the gel.
- Apply the gel firmly over the affected areas .
- It has been found effective for almost all kind of skin problems. However, it is evident to be best for acne, psoriasis, inflamed skin, burns. boils and eczematous dry and flaky skins and various kinds of microbial infections.
2. Turmeric(Curcuma Longa L.)
Turmeric also called kurkum is one of the most common ingredient in Asian cooking and has a bright yellow dye property imparting yellow color to the foods. It has been recorded as one of the best medicines in Sidhha medicine common in Asian regions. The active chemical constituents includes a group of compounds called curcuminoids [curcumin (diferuloylmethane), demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin].
Properties: Antioxidant, Anti-inflammatory, Antiviral, Antibacterial and Antiseptic
How To Use
- Take few pinches of turmeric powder in a small bowl and add few drops of water in it and mix ge3ntly
- Apply the paste in the affected areas.
- It is found to be effective against many skin diseases and conditions such as eczema, chicken pox, shingles, allergy, scabies, burns, wounds and cuts. It can also stop bleeding from the cuts and prevent any kind of microbial infection.
3. Oats (Avena Sativa)
Surprisingly, oats commonly taken as cereal for breakfast in our day to day lives is an another excellent plant that can be used to cure various minor skin problems. The compounds called Avenanthramides present in oats are powerful Anti-inflammatory agents and also excellent Anti-oxidants. Colloidal form of oats are centuries old skin remedies for various skin disorders like skin rashes, burns, itches and eczema.
Properties: Anti-inflammatory and Anti-oxidant
How To Use
- Take grinded whole oat grain in a small bowl and mix it with about 5 to 7 ml water to make colloidal mixture
- Apply the colloid as skin lotion over the areas of interest.
- It will soothe skin redness, dryness, scaling, roughness and itching intensity and help alleviate various skin problems like skin rashes, eczema, burns and other inflammatory conditions.
4. Chamomile(Matricaria Recutita)
Chamomile, also called Daisy or Babunaj is a well known medicinal herb i.e. used for a variety of healing purposes. It helps in regeneration of skin cells and works as an antioxidant, helping to prevent free radical damage on the skin. The dried flowers contain many terpenoids(Bisabolol, Matricin, Chamazulene)and flavonoids (Apigenin, Luteolin) which is responsible for its medicinal properties.
Properties: Antibacterial, Anti-fungal, Anti-inflammatory and Antiseptic
How To Use
- Essential oils and dried flower extracts are available in the market.
- Take a dried flower and boil it in water to make tea. Let it cool and apply the tea firmly over the affected areas
- It is found to be efficient in wound healing and skin inflammatory conditions and therefore, used in various skin allergies, atopic dermatitis and eczema.
- Various studies has shown it to be even more effective than Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory Drugs(NS-AIDS).
5. Neem ( Azadirachta indica)
Neem was considered extremely useful in the treatment of various kinds of skin diseases since ancient times. Being one of the most important plant in eastern ancient medicine, the plant is a boon for people even with chronic skin conditions. The most important active constituent is Azadirachtin and the others are Nimbolinin, Nimbin, Nimbidin, Nimbidol, Gedunin, Salannin, and Quercetin. It is claimed to be capable of healing all kinds of skin conditions according to Hindu scriptures and various researches conducted are in line to this claim as well.
Properties: Antibacterial, Antiviral, Anti-parasitic, Anti-inflammatory, Anticarcinogenic, Antioxidant and Immune upregulation
How To Use
- Neem leaves can also be eaten directly to cure chronic cases of skin diseases. However, it should be kept in mind that high consumption of neem can cause low sperm count and infertility in males.
- Boil the neem in water for about 20 minutes and let it cool. Either drink it in an empty stomach or bathe the affected areas with it.
- Commercially available extracts can also be applied topically over affected areas.
6. Cannabis( Cannabis sativus)
Cannabis (Ganja, charas or Weed or Marijuana) is a plant well known for it’s intoxication related uses i.e. an excellent skin disease remedy as well. The Cannabinoids present in the plant is responsible for its medicinal as well as the psychoactive effect. It has been found effective for the treatment of eczema and skin diseases like dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis/cradle cap, psoriasis, lichen planus, acne and roseacea.
Properties: Anti-Inflammatory, Wound healing, Analgesic, Antifungal, Antiviral and Antimicrobial
How To Use
- Take fresh cannabis leaves and crush them in a small bowl. Apply the crushed leaves directly in the affected areas to relieve pain and itchiness of various skin diseases.
- Dry the leaves and turn it into powder after it has dried well. Use it as a dressing for wounds and sores.
- Commercially available extracted essential oils can be taken and applied over the skin which helps to strengthen the skin and resist microbial infections.
7. Garlic ( Allium sativum)
Garlic is another commonly used ingredient in Asian cooking. The regular use of garlic in Asian cooking may be because of its various kinds of health benefits. One of it’s most important medicinal use is in the treatment of skin diseases. The active component of garlic, Allicin, is found to be effective against various kinds of chronic and acute skin conditions.
Properties: Antibacterial , Antifungal, Antiviral, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-ageing and Antiseptic properties
How To Use
- Take a whole garlic, Peel 2 to 3 cloves and take it in a bowl.
- Either ingest it directly in an empty stomach to get long term benefits or Crush the peels to make a paste.
- Apply the paste of garlic over the affected areas of skin for immediate relief.
- It has been found effective against acne, ageing or wrinkles, various microbial infections, itching, irritation, rashes and dry flaky skin.
8. Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Licorice root and leaves have been used for centuries in traditional medicine and skin care regimens. It’s sweet aroma has made it popular as a perfume too. Glycyrrhizin,a saponin is the medically active ingredient with medicinal properties in the plant. It is effective against various skin conditions including chronic contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. It’s extract has been effective for comforting patients of rosacea as well.
Properties: Anti-oxidant, Anti-inflammatory and Antimicrobial
How To Use
- Take few licorice roots and clean them properly to get rid of fibers and soils around the root.
- Cut the root into small pieces and crush them.
- Boil it along with fresh leaves and drink the tea to promote overall skin health along with various other benefits.
- Fresh leaves can also be directly applied over the affected areas of skin .